Xpadder & Voice Attack

Home / INDEX / Trouble Shooting Forum / Xpadder & Voice Attack

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Healy 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi all,
    I’ve been playing Arma 3 vanilla using Xpadder and Voice Attack, but neither works when I run the ASOR modded version. To make things a bit more puzzling, the Xbox controller works with both using the “out of the box” mapping, just can’t map it through the keyboard using Xpadder.
    Is intentional (so only can use default controler or keyboard) with ASOR version, or I have overlooked something basic. Any suggestions from members using a gamepad with Xpadder or Voice Attack would be welcome.
    Cheers

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Goldfish
    black_dragon leader operator donator supporter

Hey there Mr. Primate,
    I’m no expert and I’m sure one of the more capable members can clarify, but I believe you’ll have quite a bit of trouble (if it’s even possible) with using a controller due to the large number of key combinations required. ASOR utilizes custom versions of the ACE interaction and medical systems (among others) as well as Task force radio ‘TFAR’ for communications which may well interfere with any voice command inputs.

Sorry to be a debbie-downer mate, and who knows maybe I’m completely off-base. Good luck and hope to see you at the next open training!

I too am not familiar with using a Controller for a PC, but I can reinforce Goldfish in saying that the amount of key combinations will require you to use the keyboard at some point anyway. I believe it is possible to do so, but the keyboard would be preferable.

When considering the amount of Key-binds possible, the ACE interaction system adds dozens of interactions (but usually a handful we actually use) + Task Force Radio. Add those with Arma’s Stance Controls, Weapon Resting, Inventory Access, Occasional Scroll Wheel options, Sprint Controls, Firing, Weapon Swapping, Grenade Throwing etc etc (goes for awhile), I believe you’ll need to use the keyboard at some point.

Have you been able to use this setup on public servers with any success?

I dont think the way that mods implement key binding you could bind a controller key to options. That said never even heard of anyone even trying. Perhaps search for ACE3 / TFR and controller use, otherwise not much else has custom keys added.

Disodium

Having a quick look into this, I can see a few threads around with people who have issues getting XPadder to work with modded versions of ARMA(Day-Z, Breaking Point, etc) which backs up what you say with relation to it not working outside of vanilla ARMA, I doubt it is something ASOR would of built in but rather something to do with the way ARMA is.. well.. ARMA..

For starters, I would ensure XPadder is running in Admin if it is not already, then ensure ASORSync is and while you are at it and to save you some potential issues, ensure Teamspeak 3 is also.

Also check out this post relating to disabling the controller in ARMA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/14/490121928350140304/#c616187203902240838

Best of luck,

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Disodium.

Dave
    ftl black_dragon leader sotf1 supporter donator

Is there a partcular reason you want to use an xbox controller for ARMA?

Disodium

I could see it being viable for some vehicles(I have thought about using my controller for land based vehicles), but outside of that it would seem limiting especially with the points listed above by others…
    That being said, they may of been a console peasant console gamer and might be a crack shot with the controller, but I agree bind management is going to be a pain it the butt!

With them using Voice Attack, I would assume they are replacing some of those key binds with voice commands..
    I have seen videos of Voice Attack being used for AI Squad Management pretty well.
    … Actually, I just had a horrible thought about if you used a voice command to throw a grenade, and vocally warned the squad about a grenade…

Chang
    sql leader ftl black_dragon donator supporter

You might have played vanilla Arma with a controller for whatever reason, but you use almost the entire keyboard when playing ASOR ops. The mods add a bunch of extra controls that I don’t think can be mapped to a controller because of how mods work.

I would recommend learning how to use KB+M in some singleplayer for a bit, at the very least, get accustomed to the stance adjust (Ctrl + W or Ctrl +S) which lets you slightly increase or decrease your stance height. Means you can get behind cover properly and only JUST peak out to take shots.

Alby
    gallantry sotf1 dwf russia leader donator operator

How to setup your gamepad for arma

Step 1:

Step 2:
    Repeat step 1 as many times as required!

Altho if you really cant live without it hope you find a solution. I think @blazenchamber uses or used some crazy hybrid keyboard & other contoller thingy from memory. Maybe he knows more.

I have seen videos of Voice Attack being used for AI Squad Management pretty well.
    … Actually, I just had a horrible thought about if you used a voice command to throw a grenade, and vocally warned the squad about a grenade…

Yeh theyre are pretty good for ai. Used em fair bit in singleplayer missions early on & it was always cool sayin flank right & seeing squad respond. Even funner programming the word “maggots” at the end of each command lol. Altho your right bout grenades, remember using it for starcitizen once & when i asked for a countermeasure it bloody well ejected me! Well technically that is a countermeasure haha, but not the one i was after!

I think Disodium is on the right track.. the software not running as admin is most likely. If it works with vanilla Arma and emulates a keyboard, it should work with our stuff. I don’t think you can bind joystick buttons directly to mod (ACE3) actions, but xpadder should work around that.

We don’t have anything custom that should prevent it from working other than running everything as admin.

Alby
    gallantry sotf1 dwf russia leader donator operator

Even with my pc joystick I have issues with binding buttons, especially thru CBA menu. Need to have them assigned as keystrokes.
    I guess the other way to check if admin dont work is just run each mod seperately using arma3sync & see which one is stopping it recognising. Id start with CBA first then ACE. Only two that i could think would have chance affecting things.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments and help. First prize to Alby for his simple and tempting solution! So why do I want to use the controller some of you ask? Because I have been spoilt by console games. That’s it, a console gamer going to PC. I may have to start using the keyboard… what does it look like? : )

Anyway, here’s the skinny on my efforts so far:

1. Since my first post I have been able to get Xpadder and Voice Attack working on the modded version of Arma 3. Did some Googling and found that running Xpadder and Voice Attack in Windows 7 compatibile mode solved the problem. Don’t know why it worked, just did.

Update: Have since discovered that just running the programs as administrator (using the option in “properties”) is sufficient (big thanks to Lecks).

2. I agree that a keyboard will most likely be needed at some point. Arma 3 has an awesome number of key commands. However, using Xpadder and Voice Attack combined, I’ve had success with the common, infantry, vehicle and weapon key bindings – that’s about 80 or so. I could probably map around 120 combinations comfortably. Of course this may still not be enough, don’t yet know. Still experimenting.

3. There is some good news for keyboard advocates. Voice Attack is pure bliss with a keyboard. You can pull up the map, compass, inventory, etc. without worrying about the keyboard. Can even go a little more exotic like “lean left”, “stance down”, “tog combat pace”, “tog scope”, “walk”, “salute”, etc. easy as while doing other stuff, so it adds to the keyboard rather than replaces it. Pretty much whatever suits, so I would be happy to recommend a look at Voice Attack. A word of caution though, I don’t know how the triple key combinations in some mods will go, although that won’t prevent Voice Attack working for other commands.

4. regarding the question about whether I have used these programs on public servers, no. Have been running Arma 3 (vanilla and modded) on my PC to try and get ready for open training night (nervous smile), but multiplayer should not make any difference as the Xpadder and Voice Attack are communicating with the keyboard direct.

As to the big question. Will I be ready for open training on 9th Nov, hope so as it could be embarrassing if I can’t move. Might play around with the keyboard to be safe : )

Cheers

Chang
    sql leader ftl black_dragon donator supporter

I think you’ll find, especially if you ever move into an FTL or SQL role, that your voice is used A LOT and it would be much easier to offset the workload from your mouth to the keyboard. Radio comms are overwhelming at times! I know thats what I would prefer when running FTL.

You’ll need to really police your push-to-talk and radio buttons, accidentally hot-miking so everyone can hear your voice-attack commands would get really annoying for everyone else.

As for head tilt and free-look, I use TrackIR so I’m a bit spoiled there as well. Feels much more natural to just lean in real life, which also means you can lean in increments. Pressing a button snaps you straight to 100% lean, but I can *just* peak out from walls if I want to.

As to the big question. Will I be ready for open training on 9th Nov, hope so as it could be embarrassing if I can’t move. Might play around with the keyboard to be safe : )

It will be, “difficult” to resolve issues across a different keybinding platform, especially if we’re mid combat. I don’t think you’d want this to limit you, so it might be wise to try and get on our server sometime and have somebody take you through some keybinds. I can usually cover keybinds in induction, but there will probably not be time to conduct any lengthy troubleshooting issues. Its good to know it works for you however!

Did you try running XPadder as Administrator? (right click on it > run as administrator).

Chang 739 – Good point. I’ve set the radio to “push to talk”, but if the VA commands are broadcast in game I would expect to get kicked (so I do need to make sure its all good).

Healy – Would be good to get on the server in a sandbox to try the Xpadder and VA bindings and see if I’m on the right track. If there is some way to tee this up let me know and will go for test drive. I have the SW radio up and running (I think!).

Lecks – Thanks, bang on. I have updated my earlier post above.

Disodium

Basically any Coms used should be set to Push-To-Talk(PTT) this includes Teamspeak as the default talk in Teamspeak is proximity chat.
    If you have this sorted you should be all good.

Regarding testing, it is best if you get on Teamspeak first and go to the ‘ASOR Lounge’ and see if there is anyone you can talk to about getting some help if you need it.
    Then if you launch ASORSync and ensure the Join Server box is ticked it will automagically connect ARMA to the ASOR server. (if you do not get moved to the Operations Channel, Teamspeak is not running in Admin Mode or the plugin is not active)
    Provided no one is on the server, jump on BluFor and select a RFL, LMG or AT role and spawn in.
    From here you can do your basic control testing etc..
    *Generally it is ok to join the server for practice anytime, but sometimes people might be doing something on there so it is best to check if it is ok to join before you jump right in.

Also take a moment once you spawn and hit M(Open Map) and read over the Tabs relating to new recruits and also roles/loadouts as this holds a wealth of info in setting yourself up.

If you get stuck, just drop someone a message in TS or even join the ASOR Discord by using the Connect button and drop a message in there.

If there is some way to tee this up let me know and will go for test drive. I have the SW radio up and running (I think!).

When you’re free, Jump into Teamspeak. If I see you around, we’ll go through some stuff. Otherwise, the server should always be up, and you’re welcome to join it at any time (other than Ops obviously, until the 9th). The Field Training Exercise map should be up, and there is a fair few amount of training concepts and courses put into place for your enjoyment.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.