Achieving an objective is what you are supposed to do as grunts. Achieving objectives takes wits, strategy and intelligence. Killing people just requires pulling a trigger. – Jayvan, 2017
It is very apparent that Discord is not the place for these kinds of discussions, so its time to breathe life back into the Forums, even for just a quick second.
It has been brought up in general that a squad layout change may be in order. Some (admittedly myself and a few others) have mentioned that our current setup has given a singular squad way to much firepower than is neither necessary or challenging from a game play perspective.
In terms of the squad’s current layout, here is the major problem:
Due to our extreme firepower capabilities, ASOR as a whole has moved towards a “throw everything we’ve got at it and hope it dies” approach to its tactical gameplay. The threat of an MBT, IFV or even an entire platoon of enemy units has lost its effectiveness in posing a distinct and “terrifying” opponent to ASOR in general. We always have the ability to deal with opposition quickly and ruthlessly, regardless of our usual situation. It takes a whole squad wipe and a half to make even singular BMP or BTR the kind of threat that it should pose. This has several damaging effects on our gameplay and as a result, general enjoyment:
1. Players have a lowered threat response to singular vehicle contacts and enemy squads, making gameplay duller and less entertaining. There no punch to the people we fight, its essentially the same as carving through lemmings in a Platinum game.
2. Because this lack of response, mission makers are feeling the need to throw increasing amounts of enemy and assets our way to raise the treat level to a point where it becomes entertaining again.
3. The lack of adversity we face in our ops is essentially being fixed by “more enemies” which has massive problems in of itself, including a reduced frame-rate and bullshit scenarios where we’re facing off against almost every piece of kit a conventional army would have in supply within a 3 hour window, making ops less immersive when you think about it for even a few seconds.
What some of us are suggesting that there should be a fundamental restructuring of ASOR squads in an effort to nerf our capabilities out in the field. Reduced heavy weapons, reduced access to special kit, reduced ammo carry capacity, etc. This would all be done to pull the group back towards a more tactical method of play, and forcing people to think through what they need to do to complete their objectives, not just throwing squads at the enemy until we win.
A setup I heard about through Instant Muffin then tweaked would look something like this:
Access to GL, Long Range, Does the thing that SQL usually does (maybe limit usage of all binoculars to SQL + FTL?). No access to disposable.
Its a CFA, no change.
Same access as SQL
Standard infantry dudes. Only one of these guys gets to have access to disposables at kit up, no one else does. No access to a GL,
Engineer. No access to disposable, or GL. Does the whole thing that an ENG does.
Same access as SQL
Same as RFL but gets to carry ammo. Probably the only “rifleman” who gets access to a backpack.
Same as current LMG
Same as current AT
Essentially the setup is designed to drastically lower the fighting capability a single squad has, effectively raising the threat level of enemies we come across. This will have the following benefits:
1. More balanced and realistic game-play, enemies are threatening again.
2. Mission maker ability to scale down the amount of enemy we face each op, which will benefit us frame-rate wise. Also gives mission makers to create intentionally unwinnable situations without filling a square kilometer with nothing but Bradley’s. (this is good for story purposes, you shouldn’t really win every time)
– Limit available kit to select roles to give them a distinct gameplay function with obvious strengths and weaknesses that can be complimented by the other roles present around them within the game. Its not exactly interesting and engaging gameplay when you can do everything yourself and the only threat you truly face is being outnumbered 10 – 1
Of course, this setup isnt perfect and can probably be tweaked but I personally believe that it would be a good step forward to making ASOR great again (insert Trump meme here).
PS. To the Dev team. I know jack shit about how things work your end and I know this is basically just more work for you guys but if there is any way I can help if we decide to go this route I’ll do what I can.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.