Splendid Smoke

Home / INDEX / Mods / Splendid Smoke

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  suits 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Phil
    commander black_dragon sotf1 dwf russia leader operator

Just bumped into a mod I didn’t know existed. Seems pretty legit and one I reckon for discussion.
    link: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/194479-splendid-smoke/
    The creator also notes in the comments that it will need more info for people using Blastcore to test any interactions. Further he also notes that the ACE team are working on a PBO called ace-particles which will provide similar if not better results. Thoughts?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

I avoid smoke mods. They look pretty, but they don’t affect AI, so you end up getting shot “in cover” when in fact the AI can see you because their vision wasn’t obscured.

It would work in PvP, but again, only if everyone was forced to run it.

disco
    donator supporter

extra smoke in this mod apparently does block AI – watch the showcase vid author put together

Skittles
    aviator black_dragon operator sotf1

Would be fantastic for pilots when it comes too spotting LZ`s and assist in dagger, devil to recognize friendly from the enemy.

Not sure how big they get IRL (we have to wait for one of our ex-military guys to comment) but that seems slightly large for a little hand held grenade imo. Cool, but slightly, large.

Chang
    ftl black_dragon donator supporter

Seems dependent on the breeze, but it would appear they do give out a lot more volume than vanilla arma ones:

one smoke grenade under the right conditions will blot out a massive area, if wind is to high it just streams away, indoors forget about it you will be lucky if u can breath / find the door.

When the wind is blowing it looks like the real ones are still more effective than the Arma ones. If there’s any wind in Arma they become little coloured circles metres apart from eachother rather than an actual cloud.

Also worth noting though that I don’t think anyone here uses the smoke part of blastcore. Most of us delete the smoke pbo to remove it because ai can see through it on our server.

I used this tonight to test it
    no errors and it was awesome

will add this to the repo next week and we can do our own tests vs ai

Chang
    ftl black_dragon donator supporter

So by adding it to the repo, does everyone get it or is it clientside only?

It’ll be part of the modset so everyone gets it. The mod has to be on the server to affect ai.

I avoid smoke mods. They look pretty, but they don’t affect AI, so you end up getting shot “in cover” when in fact the AI can see you because their vision wasn’t obscured.

It would work in PvP, but again, only if everyone was forced to run it.

If you watch the video to the end they do an AI smoke blocking test and the splendid smoke blokes AI view completely so its not only more smoke, more visible but it also does an awesome job at blocking AI visibility…whats the negatives here?

yeah something like this needs to be on the repo and server otherwise like me last night you have these massive smoke screens which dont exist for the ai. I wanted to test for errors before putting it out there. I was impressed, can actually use smoke as its meant to be used, the assaults we did on the town and a couple of others the smoke was awesome much more realistic than vanilla or that fucked up blastcore bugged smoke.

I havent tested running blastcore though which may not be possible together, if anyone has time to do that please do let us know. I will get this on repo when I can, re-installing pc tonight so will be out for a bit.

this is on the repo if you missed the msg on discord. feedback after wed would be good.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.