Mission Maker Intro and Help

Home / INDEX / Map Editing and Scripting / Mission Maker Intro and Help

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Pharoah 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

The current campaign we have at the moment is ideal for anyone looking to get into mission making, the enemy is not very complex and scenarios can be quite simple which is the ideal point to start at and learn how we (ASOR) do missions.

At the moment I am basically the only one putting out regular missions with the occasional one here and there from others which is great but I would welcome any assistance from anyone out there even if you only ever produce one a month, a couple of people doing that and it makes all the difference to me. I am really keen to get some free time so I can work on some of my mods, one of which is re-doing ASOREdit for EDEN to make mission making easier yet again.

I am going to make Tuesday nights when I can mission making help nights whenever I can be on I will idle in the mission editing channel on TS and anyone can come in and just hit me up or I can start them off on the basics or whatever where ever your at. Getting help doesnt mean you have to produce a mission for ASOR either.

Viewing 15 replies - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Pharoah
    donator black_dragon

Suits – I watched a few of the videos. Damn I didn’t realise it was that easy. Just confirming though, I need to download the ARMR Edit mod? there were quite a few on google (some dating back to 2008) so I wasn’t sure which one to download.

Dave
    black_dragon leader sotf1 supporter donator

@reapersmurf Cheers! Will take you up on that (once the current visiting the Hospice stuff in the evenings is over).

@pharoah Its called ASOREdit now and its already in the ASOR modset so if you load through ASORSYNC you already have it running.

I should be on each tuesday night so if anyone missed this Tuesday there is always others. I didnt get through alot, really just the basics of how ASOREdit works and some little editor tips and tricks, really wanted to go through the template and how to setup and finalise your mission as there is a couple of things you need to check.

Chang
    ftl black_dragon donator supporter

Whats the password for the editor channel? Had a bit of a play with the editor last night but wanted to ask a few questions

Pharoah
    donator black_dragon

ok sounds good – I didn’t know it was there. I did see a few of the guys on the editor channel but its passworded so I just jumped on the normal channel and did some range shooting.

I will start playing around with the editor just to familiarise myself with it.

If you want the password, send a poke or message to someone in the channel.
    It’s only password protected to stop people from hearing spoilers, and to let mission making go undisturbed.

Yeah, if you want to ask about missions/scripting/etc, just PM us to get the password. The channel is there so you can get help with that sort of thing with some privacy. Also feel free to PM us if we’re AFK in TeamSpeak.. often we’re not actually afk.

i dont recommend poking me, as Chang knows I dont hear them (sorry Chang didnt see them until about 9), I have the sound turned off because i used to get alot during ops and it would piss me off. If I am in game I recommend steam msg.

Dave
    black_dragon leader sotf1 supporter donator

Steam messages still piss him off, but the sound is less annoying.

And of course, if you have the PW, don’t dish it out to anybody who isn’t interested in mission editing/scripting. It’s the only channel we have where people can work on things without the banter and links of the lounge etc.

P.S, Lecks doesn’t ever sleep, so you could probably poke him to death if he is in the afk channel. Even discord.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Healy.

Chang
    ftl black_dragon donator supporter

Yeah no worries, will get onto you guys when I get serious about making a mission. Problem is once the editor is open, its like all my ideas go out the window and I have a mental blank on what to create 😀

Pharoah
    donator black_dragon

I’ve always had lots of ideas when it came to making missions but every time I fired up the editor and started playing with it, I usually ended up rage quitting after about 2 hours in frustration.

just one point though….I like missions to be difficult. RL is difficult so shall it be ingame. Its all about testing those in command. Just gotta put my money where my mouth is! 😛

In comparison to the 2D editor, EDEN is much quicker, as mission makers no longer need to “preview” and load into the game to view the placement of every object placed. It’s a far quicker and easier process due to it being in real time. Mission making maybe daunting to begin with, but there’s plenty of us here willing to help and once you have it, it’s easy. Your first mission also doesn’t need to be ‘played’.

When I started with ASOREdit I asked suits if I could trial my mission ‘informally’ on a Saturday night as a “Black Ops” type mission. 20 People attended, and after that making missions got easier. Suits, Reaper-smurf, Myself, and other mission makers wouldn’t mind if you sent your missions through to us I’m sure, so have a play in the editor and continue to do so.

Edit: And as far as ideas are concerned, write them down. You’ll soon learn what is a ridiculous “Hollywood” movie idea, and what is actually applicable. Plus the limitations of the editor. It’s hard to create a mission where we hit a moving convoy (AI don’t like driving, and they don’t like waypoints) etc.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Healy.

We played the first PvE mission I’ve ever made on Wednesday, and things went pretty well. Once you realize what stuff syncs to what it gets really easy. The hardest part for me was actually deciding how many enemy should be on the map, as on Wednesday we only to 1/3 through what I actually had planned.

It was honestly a really fun experience, really looking forward to making some more.

Pharoah
    donator black_dragon

I’ve been spending a few nights re-watching Suits’ video on armaedit and trying it out on the editor. Its funny, you watch the video and go ‘oh that’s easy, just add this, add that, link it to this, and presto’….then you jump into the editor and get….<mental blank>

Its quite enjoyable though however I have to remember to think logically when setting up stuff in missions.

Viewing 15 replies - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.